|Sign up for the Course Interest List|
This immersive course focuses on communicating ideas in English, and will help au pairs and nannies to prepare themselves for working in an English-speaking environment. Participants will improve conversational confidence, fluency, and listening comprehension, including understanding different American accents, common phrases and idioms, and expressions that will help you interact with family and community members. Lessons in grammar, such as using correct verb tense and sentence structures, will develop your conversational skills. Class interaction, plus audio, video, and reading materials, will guide conversation topics and develop listening skills. Upon successful completion of this course, students will receive a certificate of completion (36 contact hours).
This course builds language skills necessary for work with young children, such as:
- Directing children’s activities of daily living (household chores and activities).
- Providing positive discipline.
- Consoling an upset child.
- Giving praise.
- Using common health & safety terms.
- Effectively conversing on topics such as travel and flight-planning; American culture, holidays, and food; driving and navigation directions; and handling emergencies.
Class will meet on campus September 9th, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Remaining course hours will be earned through project work and scheduled activities.
Tuition: $499 (includes required textbook and course materials)
Instructor: Diana Ostrander, Ph.D., Anoka Technical College Professor of English, Writing, and Reading
Anoka Technical College
1355 W Highway 10
Anoka, MN 55303
Day(s): Varied Schedule
Time: 9:00 AM
Contact Hours: 36
Instructor: Diana Ostrander